Saturday, July 13, 2013

The headgirl listens to her gut in Malawi


Little issues bind themselves together to form fantasies and imaginations. It is our wish whether to succumb to those or choose the yellow road instead. I don't think I opted for the yellow road of practicality. So, I became the head girl. And let me tell you frankly, it is merely an honorable thing. I have least duties to perform, apart from commanding the assembly. Sometimes, few decisions make you feel  faltered.Yet, they make you susceptible to flattery. You try giving your self millions of reasons and go on with it assiduously. In that case, what road are you actually traveling? 
The ceremony was celebrated with pomp and show. It was quite similar to the crowning ceremony of a king. The biguls, drums and trumpets on the back score, along with oaths and the flag pulled me back to some ancient era.. I suddenly thought of Darell Rivers, the head girl of of Malory towers. I had always looked at that Enid Blyton character with awe and admiration. As soon as I reached home, I poured myself over the novel again. Inspiration flew back within me when I found answers to the reckless choices I had made. I had indeed chosen the yellow road.. I had listened to my gut. It's true that I fulfilled my childhood fantasy but then, I got what I wanted. Which is one of the rarest things... Because, heeding to your heart can merge those roads sometime, untangling you from the regular dilemma.
After an hour of Grey's Anatomy, I tell mum, "After growing up, I am gonna adopt a baby from Malawi like Meredith Grey and transform her into a child prodigy." She gets a deja vu. "I am gonna be the head girl like Darell Rivers someday", a little girl of 9 had once told her. She had said " Yes, you will". The fantasies will never cease... "check" to the first one in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment