Saturday, October 22, 2011

The difference...

"Why are beggars called so?", I asked my mom curiously, seeing a small child begging outside the door. "Because they don't have anything to eat or wear.", she replied. "But why?".
"Because they don't have amma and appa like you have." I had asked this question to my mom when I was in 1st standard. I still remember how I used to carry a one - rupee coin whenever I visited the railway station or the temple. It used to make me proud giving out the coin to a physically challenged person or some wailing woman with a baby in her hand. The idea of serving others and getting their blessings would fascinate me a lot. But time passed and as I started going to school, I forgot all about helping others and allother blah blah. Instead we were taught how cunning beggars were and how it was wrong to encourage them by handing out money or food. Today, after a long time, I met up with some small children begging at my door. Their hands and feet were so small that they couldnot reach the doorbell. So they started knocking. Usually I don't open the door to strangers since I am alone in the house most of the time. But today as mom was leaving she called out for something and I had to go downstairs. Seeing me finally open the door the little ones got excited and started screaming with excitement, poking each other. I got a bit scared as I was afraid that they would enter the house. They started asking me," Aunty, kuch khane ko do na..." . I hesitated a bit as I remembered what was taught to me. I yelled out to mom that I was being disturbed by them. My mom got emotional and said, "Paavam.... give them the pulav after you have taken your share..." I was astonished to hear mom say so. But I recalled my past experiences and felt ashamed of myself. I hurriedly went inside and gave out the pulav in a plastic plate. They came out running with happiness, their eyes hungrier than their stomach. Seeing food, they grabbed handfuls of it. I shut the door and went out to the balcony. I smiled at them seeing them digging their tiny hands into the pulav. That moment, I felt sooooo bad that it's difficult to express. I realised how fortunate I was that I was born with the boon of having a mom and dad who have always been able to fulfil my wishes and needs, who love me a lotttttt...... This is fate, I thought.... The difference between the fortunates and the unfortunates......

No comments:

Post a Comment